Literature Analysis (Fiction) - Divergent, by Veronica Roth
1. plot of the novel. In a world divided by factions based on virtues, Tris learns
she's Divergent and won't fit in. When she discovers a plot to destroy
Divergents, Tris and the mysterious Four must find out what makes Divergents
dangerous before it's too late.
2. I would say that the theme of the novel is Identity, because the main character "Tris" has to figure out who he is and why are divergent people so dangerous.
3. Based on the authors tone, I would describe his life as: reflexive. I would say the author is that kind of person who has to know the purpose of something before doing it, in other words, the author won't do anything if there's not a purpose. In my opinion the tone of the novel is mysterious because as I've been reading the book I've been noticing some interesting and mysterious facts about each character.
4. Literary Techniques:
Setting and context: Dystopian Chicago, many years in the future.
Narrator: Divergent is narrated in the first person present tense. The point of view is that of the novel’s protagonist, Beatrice "Tris" Prior, a 16-year-old girl.
Foreshadowing: Caleb tells Beatrice that, at the Choosing Ceremony, they must think of their families and of themselves. Shocked by this advice, Beatrice says, “The tests don’t have to change our choices,” to which Caleb replies, “Don’t they, though?”. This rhetorical question foreshadows Caleb’s decision to leave Abnegation and join Erudite. Although on the outside he seems like the poster child for Abnegation, selfless to a point that annoys Beatrice, the aptitude test revealed his true inner nature to him.
Allusion: An important example of this is Marcus’s speech at the Choosing Ceremony. When he gives an account of how the Faction system came to be, he alludes to many of the issues plaguing our world today, wars about race and religion, economic crises, rampant nationalism, etc.
2. I would say that the theme of the novel is Identity, because the main character "Tris" has to figure out who he is and why are divergent people so dangerous.
3. Based on the authors tone, I would describe his life as: reflexive. I would say the author is that kind of person who has to know the purpose of something before doing it, in other words, the author won't do anything if there's not a purpose. In my opinion the tone of the novel is mysterious because as I've been reading the book I've been noticing some interesting and mysterious facts about each character.
4. Literary Techniques:
Setting and context: Dystopian Chicago, many years in the future.
Narrator: Divergent is narrated in the first person present tense. The point of view is that of the novel’s protagonist, Beatrice "Tris" Prior, a 16-year-old girl.
Foreshadowing: Caleb tells Beatrice that, at the Choosing Ceremony, they must think of their families and of themselves. Shocked by this advice, Beatrice says, “The tests don’t have to change our choices,” to which Caleb replies, “Don’t they, though?”. This rhetorical question foreshadows Caleb’s decision to leave Abnegation and join Erudite. Although on the outside he seems like the poster child for Abnegation, selfless to a point that annoys Beatrice, the aptitude test revealed his true inner nature to him.
Allusion: An important example of this is Marcus’s speech at the Choosing Ceremony. When he gives an account of how the Faction system came to be, he alludes to many of the issues plaguing our world today, wars about race and religion, economic crises, rampant nationalism, etc.
Comments
Post a Comment